From “Rumoldeshusen“ to RommelshausenThe location Rommelshausen was founded in the period of the Merovingians and is mentioned for the first time in 1146 in a deed of gift of King Konrad II. as “Rumoldeshusen”. Herein was found the signature of Wortwin de Rumoldeshusen aside the one of the Gentlemen of Plochingen and the Count of Württemberg as witness to the document. In the course of times the name however has repeatedly changed. The location was named “Rumoltzhausen, then “Rumolshusen “ and finally Rommelshausen in 1718. Around 1300 the location, having been Property of the Counts of Teck before, became property of the Counts of Württemberg.
In 1525 the location already consisted of 14 vassal courts. In the past centuries the nucleus of the location grew around these courts, of which the Schafhof (court of sheep) and the Glockenhof (court of bells) are still existing. In the middle of the 16th century around 1.000 people lived here, by the end of the second world war Rommelshausen counted already 2.300 inhabitants. Till the end of the 20th century the number jumped up to around 9.000 inhabitants.
The Gentlemen of StettenThe first written mention of the village of Stetten is dated from the year 1241. Eberhard von Stetten, Lord High Steward of the Counts of Württemberg, appears in a deed of gift as a witness to the document. The Lord High Stewards of Stetten were court civil servants of the Counts and Dukes of Württemberg, who assisted in many important decisions. The village of Stetten was repeatedly sold in the course of the centuries. In the mid of the 17th century it was purchased by Duke Eberhard III. and became thus again the property of the dynasty of Württemberg. By this the feudal pomp began...
Around 1300 the Y-burg was built, which never reached a bigger importance however, as the castle was already built in the valley in 1384-87. In 1760 the burg was pulled down. From time to time the castle was the residence of the widows of various dukes. Wilhelmine von Grävenitz, mistress of the Duke Eberhard Ludwig, resided there for 19 years as the Lady of Stetten. At the beginning of the 19th century the feudal relationship was finished. In 1863 the castle was sold to the Diakonie Stetten.
Stetten could keep its original, rural character till today. One of the reasons might be at last that the location is still today one of the most important wine villages in Baden-Württemberg and a popular tourism destination.
Kernen in the Rems river valleyKernen im Remstal - equally the gate to the Remstal - was created in 1975 by the communal reform. As a consequence of the new regulation the originally independent locations of Rommelshausen and Stetten were joined on 20 September 1975. The name of Kernen is the outcome of a contest with which the provisional name of Stetten-Rommelshausen was replaced. The name comes from the highest mountain of the nearby Schurwald (513 m), which is known from the Kernen tower all over the country.
Tradition and progress are close related in the newly founded Swabian village. Due to its advantageous location and traffic situation Rommelshausen has become an industrial and living community. It is intended to further develop this function. Stetten, as the other part of the village, is a popular destination as a resort and wine village because of its attractive landscape. The lovely village and the home-like character of a wine village shall be conserved. The municipality offers many a sight, a comprehensive package of recreation possibilities and a rich and well cared-for gastronomy.
Traffic situationKernen offers excellent traffic and transport facilities by rail and bus to the neighboring municipalities and to the capital of the Land, Stuttgart. During one day one has 70 possibilities of reaching directly from Kernen the municipalities of Waiblingen, Fellbach, Weinstadt or Esslingen on the Neckar river. Likewise one can reach the S-Bahn stations (public railway transport) Waiblingen, Fellbach Rommelshausen and Stetten-Beinstein.
- Motorway (highway) Ludwigsburg 14 km
- International and regional airport Stuttgart 23 km
- Domestic basin Stuttgart 14 km
- ICE train Stuttgart 16 km
- S-Bahn station Kernen